Cam’s Kids Book Club — “The Bluest of Blues: Anna Atkins and the First Book of Photographs” by Fiona Robinson
Tuesday, November 22, 2022
4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
Welcome to Cam’s Kids Book Club:
- Register for this program to get your own free copy of the book to keep! One book will be given per family.
- Starting November 1st, pick up your book from the library.
- Read and enjoy the book at your own pace.
- Come chat about this month’s book and other books you love at the Alexandria Branch on November 22nd at 4:30 pm.
This month’s book is The Bluest of Blues: Anna Atkins and the First Book of Photographs by Fiona Robinson
A gorgeous picture book biography of botanist and photographer Anna Atkins–the first person to ever publish a book of photography
After losing her mother very early in life, Anna Atkins (1799–1871) was raised by her loving father. He gave her a scientific education, which was highly unusual for women and girls in the early 19th century. Fascinated with the plant life around her, Anna became a botanist. She recorded all her findings in detailed illustrations and engravings, until the invention of cyanotype photography in 1842. Anna used this new technology in order to catalogue plant specimens—a true marriage of science and art. In 1843, Anna published the book Photographs of British Algae: Cyanotype Impressions with handwritten text and cyanotype photographs. It is considered the first book of photographs ever published. Weaving together histories of women, science, and art, The Bluest of Blues will inspire young readers to embark on their own journeys of discovery and creativity.
Please register all children. Only one adult per family group.
Please note any accommodation requests in the Special Needs section of the registration form.
If you have any questions, please contact Katherine at email@example.com.
Age Range: Grades 1-5
Register for this event
- Only register your child(ren).
- Caretakers do not need to register to attend.
Registrations are closed for this event.