Library History

How we came to Be... over 100 years in the making

1896
The tax levy passed for a library in the City of Newport.

1902
On June 25, the Carnegie Free Library opened its doors at 4th and Monmouth Streets in Newport.

1950s
Congress passes the Library Services Act, which paves the way for countywide library systems.

1960s
The Kentucky State Library offers grants to counties that establish countywide systems. The petition to establish a Campbell County system fails in 1968.

1971
Betty Daniels leads a group of women to establish a two-room library in the Shaw House in Fort Thomas.

1973
The library at Fort Thomas was moved to the former Erschell Funeral Home at 155 N. Ft Thomas Ave.

1976
Establishment of Demonstration Libraries:

The basement of the city building in Alexandria was used for a library. A mobile home at the Newport Shopping Center was used as a library. Bookmobile service was provided to other parts of the county. Campbell County Public Library 30th Anniversary 1978-2008 Highlights

1978
On September 5, the Campbell County Public Library system (CCPL) was established. More than 51% of the voters signed the petition for a county system. Campbell County Judge Executive Lambert Hehl signed the document and the Library Board met for the first time.

1979
CCPL purchased the Andrew Carnegie building that was being operated as a city library, and took over library operations.

1984
In December, the Cold Spring Branch was opened and service at the Alexandria City Building basement was discontinued.

1987
Major renovations to the Newport Branch in the Carnegie Building included installing air conditioning and moving the children’s department to the second floor.

1995
A new building for the Fort Thomas Branch was built. The Library system automated its entire collection.

1996
The Cold Spring Branch was expanded to 14,500 sq. feet.

1997
Dial-up Internet access is available at the Cold Spring location.

1998
Broadband Internet access is available at all three locations.

1999
Fort Thomas was expanded to 15,000 sq. feet, doubling its capacity.

2003
Construction begins for a new Newport Branch.

2004
The Newport Branch, a new 27,000 sq. ft. building, opens May 16.
The first Long Range Plan is created {PDF}

2005
Campbell County Public Library begins opening on Sundays.
The Long Range Plan is updated {PDF

2006
The Long Range Plan looks to 2006-2010 {PDF}

2007
Cold Spring Branch reopens after extensive three-month renovation.
The Long Range Plan is updated {PDF

2008
Planning begins for the new South Branch in Alexandria.

2014
The CCPL Board approves a new Long Range Plan {PDF}